It’s been over a year since I’ve posted any recipes. I’ll be honest life got in the way, and I felt somewhat discouraged about the importance of what I am doing. Recently I remembered I was doing it for me. And what better way to kick things off again than to post a burger recipe for the summer.
- Portobello mushrooms are ideal for this recipe because of their size and texture, so I would not suggest any substitutions. Don’t worry if you feel like your shrooms are too big, they will shrink as they cook.
- The recipe makes a weird amount because I only had 3 portobellos to use
- Burgers are the best because you can put any toppings you want on them
- Like with all my recipes, I don’t measure anything and try my best to guesstimate for you all. I think the fun part about cooking is tweaking everything to your liking
- Make it vegan by omitting the cheese and mayo or going for a plant-based option
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Makes 3 servings
- 3 large portobello mushrooms
- 5 tbps Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tbps soy sauce
- 1 tsp yellow or dijon mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp pepper
- burger buns
- toppings of choice
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together (Worcestershire, soy sauce, paprika, pepper, garlic and onion powder, sugar, mustard).
- Using a spoon, your hands, or a brush if you fancy, coat each mushroom cap in your marinade and let sit in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Heat some neutral oil in a pan on medium-high heat and sear your “burgers” for about 2 minutes on each side. Be careful not to burn the marinade too much. Use any extra marinade to coat the shroomy caps while they are cooking.
- In the last minute or so of cooking, I like to put my cheese on my burger to get her melting.
- Top with your favorite toppings! I like a good toasted sesame seed bun, Swiss cheese, mayo, mustard, lettuce, avocado, and tomato. I served mine with pickles and roasted asparagus.
Super simple and surprisingly hearty. You won’t even miss the meat. I hope you guys give this one a try!