My first recipe! Very excited to get started. This is probably one of my favorite things I have created so far and it’s pretty easy. This is definitely a savory meal that you can for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. I’m not a huge breakfast gal but I’ll eat this any morning. There are a couple of things I’d like to note before you get started.
- Make it your own! I prefer white rice over brown but obviously both work great. And this meal doesn’t even need the rice I was just extra hungry. Omit it for a faster cook time.
- Also make it your own by switching up the veggies, I just used what I happened to have in my fridge.
- Cook time may vary – I like when the onions get really soft and caramelized so if you do too it may take a little longer
- Make it vegan by omitting the egg. I just love me a runny yolk.
- You can use gochujang instead of sriracha for some extra kick or leave out the spicy if you’re not into it
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20-30 minutes
Makes 2 servings
- 1 package of extra firm tofu
- 1 1/2 cup of rice
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of snap peas
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tbsp of sriracha
- black pepper
- green onion (to top)
- sesame seeds (to top)
- If you want rice you’re going to want to get that started first so that it’s ready when the rest of the scramble is ready. Put the rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse it until the water is not longer cloudy. Then put the rice in a pot with enough water to cover an inch above the rice (dip your finger in to the bottom of the pot and measure up to the first line on your finger). Then turn the heat on high and watch for the water to boil. Once it’s boiling, turn the heat to low and cover. Check periodically until all the water is absorbed and you can fluff the rice with your fork.
- In the meantime, prep your veggies. I like to slice the mushrooms into big pieces and dice the onions. Leave the snap peas whole. Preheat a large pan on medium heat with the canola oil. Put in the onions first and let them cook until they start to turn translucent (about 3 minutes). At this point add the mushrooms.
- While those are cooking, drain the tofu and pat it dry. Then mix together the soy sauce, honey, mirin, and a few twists of black pepper (make sure you get the honey well incorporated so it doesn’t clump in the pan). Add the tofu to the pan and break it up until it resembles scrambled eggs. Add the snap peas.
- Once the tofu is warmed through add the sauce mixture and turn the heat down to medium-low. Let the sauce cook and thicken and stir everything together. (Fry an egg in a separate pan while you wait for the sauce to reduce, or fry it in the same pan after you’ve plated)
- To finish, add the sriracha and the sesame oil. Stir to combine and you’re ready to plate!
- To plate I like to put a bed of rice in a bowl and top it with the tofu veggie scramble. Then I slice some green onions and sprinkle those over top with some sesame seeds. Lastly I like to add a fried egg and another twist of black pepper.
FIRST RECIPE DONE!! I hope you guys give this a try and make it your own :))
One Comment Add yours