Tacos, but ~asian~. I love the lettuce cups from P.F. Chang’s more than anything so I wanted to try and make some myself cause I was really craving them this week. What better filling than tofu and shrooms? These are so yummy and actually super easy to keep in the fridge and assemble really fast.
- I used butter lettuce as my shell thing but you can use any kind you want! I like the butter because its nice and leafy and I personally don’t enjoy the crunchy romaine or cabbage as much
- I used regular white mushrooms but shiitake or criminology would also work great. Mix up your mushrooms for a cool texture trip!
- You can add any other veg toppings you want. I went with radishes cause I have a zillion of them and I need to eat them somehow. You could also put carrots on it, but you will never see me putting carrots on anything since they are the spawn of satan
- This recipe is vegan!
- I forgot to pick up green onions from the market which I felt would tie everything together so definitely add those!!!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 1 pack of extra firm tofu
- 1 pack of mushrooms of choice
- 1 head of butter lettuce
- 2 cups of rice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 tbsp sushi rice vinegar
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp miso paste
- shake of garlic powder
- sesame seeds
- green onions
- Cook your rice according to package instructions.While it is cooking wash and chop your mushrooms and radishes and press your tofu to get any extra moisture out.
- Bring a large pan to medium high heat. Throw in your mushrooms and DON’T TOUCH THEM. DON’T DO IT. YOU GOTTA LET THOSE BOYS CRISP UP.
- Once the mushrooms have softened a bit (about 5 minutes) dice the tofu and throw it in with the mushrooms. Give it a stir and then DON’T TOUCH!!
- Mix up the sauce. Add soy sauce, hoisin, ginger, sriracha, miso paste, pepper, and garlic powder to a bowl and whisk it up. Once the tofu has been crisped (about 5 minutes, it won’t get super crispy just browned on the bottoms) turn the heat down to medium-medium low and add the sauce, stirring occasionally.
- Chop up any cilantro stems and throw it in the pan with the tofu and mushrooms. Add rice vinegar to the cooked rice and fluff with a fork, taste for seasoning. Wash your lettuce and chop up any other toppings.
- To assemble, place one or two leafs of lettuce down per taco (depending on the size). Add a bit of the rice and spoon the tofu and mushrooms on top. Add radishes, green onions, sesame seeds, and a little extra sauce on top if you have it.
So easy! So tasty! Let me know what you guys think!