Okay so this is more of a mini recipe because school and life in general is getting ahead of me at the moment. These homemade onion rings thought…GAWD they are good. So I hope y’all enjoy.
- I feel like cooking a store-bought plant based burger is pretty self explanatory. I mean, you’re basically just heating it up and adding whatever toppings you want. I will explain how I dress mine up.
- Onion-wise, I use yellow babies because they are the sweetest. White onions are too oniony for my onion taste. Your preference.
- I really just eyeballed this recipe because I was just making stuff up so no sweat my dudes!
- Heckin’ not vegan (the onion rings). Sorry.
- This is a special occasion recipe because 1) it requires a lot of oil, which is both expensive and not great to eat deep fried food a ton and 2) dunking them rings requires some patience and effort that I don’t always have.
- LEssa eAt
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Makes 2ish servings
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsps salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsps chili powder
- 2-3 inches of vegetable oil to fill a large pan
- Slice the onion veryyyy thinly. The thinlyer the crispier. Once a-sliced, separate all the rings from each other.
- Prepare dredging station. In one bowl, add the flour, milk, cornstarch, salt, garlic powder, paprika, and chili powder. Whisk the contents until combined.
- Take all ya onions and put them into the bowl. Toss thoroughly so all the rings are coated.
- Fill up a large pan with an appropriate amount of oil. Turn the heat on to medium to medium-high heat (depending on your stove it may vary).
- Once the oil is hot, start frying yo rings in batches. Don’t crowd the pan, and monitor your heat so they aren’t cooking too fast. It should take 2-3 minutes for them to be beautifully golden.
- Once a batch is cooked, place on a wire rack and immediately hit with a sprankling of salt. Keep frying until you got no more rings left!
- Serve with a BANGIN’ plant-based cheeseburger, appropriately topped with tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, avocado, mayo and mustard. I accept no other variations.
I’m not kidding these were the best onion rings I’ve ever had. I hope you guys give this one a try!